Glasserie believes in good food. We value old recipes from our grandmothers and great-grandmothers and strive to bring them to our neighborhood in an accessible way. Our roots are in the Mediterranean and our focus is on Middle Eastern flavors mixed with contemporary techniques.
Glasserie is located in the former home of Greenpoint Glass Works. The factory was built in 1860 by Christian Dorflinger, an immigrant from Alsace, to house his expanding glass production. The operation included kilns, docking facilities on Newtown Creek and a production line. It also included housing for the employees in its wings. In 1882 the factory came into the possession of the Elliot P. Gleason Manufacturing Co and in 1902 was renamed The Gleason-Tiebout Glass Company. It employed around 300 people until it moved in 1946. We are told that divers in Newtown Creek have found some of these original glass fixtures on the creek bed.